Super fast, easy, and filling, this is one of my breakfast go-tos. It’s nutty and creamy and delicious and takes only a few minutes. Similar to scrambled eggs, the key is keeping the heat low and not to overcook the tofu, or you risk making it rubbery. It’s also super healthy, low in calories and full of protein- there’s around 8g in each 100g of tofu. Wholemeal bread usually comes in at around 2-4g per slice too, and nutritional yeast adds another 2.6g. A sprinkling of ground flax or hemp seeds would make you feel even more virtuous after this 😇
Ingredients: (serves 1)
1 serving firm/extra firm tofu (approx 100g)
1 sprinkle nutritional yeast
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 knob vegan butter/ margarine/ olive oil
2 slices toast
1 salad tomato
Salt & pepper
1. In a frying pan on medium- low heat, warm the paprika and turmeric with the butter/oil and salt and pepper until it starts to bubble. Put the bread in the toaster.
2. Turn down the heat and add in your tofu, mashing it to get a crumbly texture and mix with the aromatic spices.
4. When the toast has popped, halve the tomato and rub it onto the bread, Catalan style. I like to do this as a healthier alternative to butter.
5. Chop the remainder of the tomato and add it to the scramble with the nutritional yeast.
3. Once combined and heated through, serve with the toast
Perfect scramble, every time 👌