Everyone’s favourite dessert is cheesecake, right? But you thought you’d have to give it up to go vegan? Wrong!
Vegan cheesecake is like a dirty little secrets that we’ve been hoarding for ourselves, because it’s really THAT GOOD.
It tastes incredible (if I say so myself), and no animals were harmed in the making of this dessert. Which makes it all the sweeter 😇
Most vegan recipes are pretty healthy, but this one is the exception to the rule. Make sure the bourbons are free from animal ingredients- most supermarket own brand ones are. This will keep in the fridge for a few days, but it’s best frozen and then let to defrost slightly before serving.
For the base:
400g bourbon biscuits
90g dairy-free butter (Vitalite, Pure, or Flora dairy-free are easy to find in supermarkets)
For the filling:
100ml orange juice/ 1 whole orange
1 tsp orange extract
100g maple syrup
100g golden syrup
300g cashew nuts
250ml coconut milk (good quality milk will have a solid layer on top of the can- use that bit first!)
1 tsp salt
50g cocoa powder
150g coconut oil
100ml vegan single cream (I use Oatley) OR hot water- this creates the cashew cream middle
- Cover the cashew nuts in hot water and leave to soak.
- Line a deep spring-form tin with greaseprooof paper
- Crush the biscuits together with the dairy-free butter until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Press the biscuit mixture into the bottom of the tin, and firm down until no loose crumbs remain
- Place in fridge or freezer to set while you make the filling
For the filling:
- Blend, using a stick blender or nutri-bullet, the orange extract, orange juice, maple syrup, golden syrup, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and coconut oil.
- In a good quality blender, like a nutri-bullet, blend the cashew nuts, along with the hot water/ cream, until the resemble a fine puree without bits. Add some more liquid if necessary.
- Once the cashew nuts are smooth and creamy, blend them together with the other ingredients. Taste and add more orange if you prefer. The final mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling over the base, tap on a hard surface to get rid of any air bubbles, and set in the fridge or freezer for a few hours.
- Decorate with orange zest, melted dark chocolate, or crushed up biscuits, and serve cold.