This is a delicious and indulgent way to eat aubergines. I love the meaty, umami taste which the sauce gives, and the rich, sticky, chewiness that roasting process creates. The only downside is that one aubergine isn’t always enough! Here I served it with my wok-fried greens, and it would be nice with rice on the side if you’re really hungry.
This is ideal to quickly prepare and leave in the oven while you get on with something else. Plus, it’s less than 5 ingredients!
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 45 mins
1 heaped tbsp miso paste (brown)
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp soy sauce
Black pepper/ fresh red chilli pepper/ sesame seeds to serve
- Heat an oven to 200 degrees C
- Halve aubergine lengthways and score the flesh in a criss-cross pattern.
- In a bowl, combine a drop of hot water, the miso paste, maple syrup, soy sauce, until you have a thick paste
- Slather the paste onto the flesh of the aubergines and place them, flesh side up, on a baking tray in the hot oven
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, until carmelised and darkened
- Serve hot, sprinkled with sliced red chilli, black pepper, or sesame seeds, alongside my wok-fried greens