Not many supermarkets do pre-made pizzas without cheese or meat…. But being vegan doesn’t mean missing out. This recipe is quick and easy to make at home, with far less fat and salt than a takeaway.
You don’t need to have any special ingredients or equipment. The key is to have a really hot oven and cook it fast, and don’t be afraid to add lots of flavours
Pizza base (pre-bought is fine)
Tomato paste and/or tomato salsa
200g Vegan cheese (I used Tesco free from Monterey Jack with chilli)
Dash lemon juice
A few leaves of basil or some red onion chutney are great optional extras
1. Preheat the oven as hot as it will go, and heat up the pizza tray at the same time.
2. Make your base, or use a pre-made one
3. Spoon over a few squirts of tomato paste and/ or tomato salsa
4. Grate over the cheese
5. Sprinkle over the mushroom, kale, spinach and walnuts, and season generously with salt, pepper and olive oil
6. Whack in the oven for 3-5 minutes, watching for burning, until the base is hard enough to pick up
7. Add a squirt of lemon juice with basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil, or red onion chutney